Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Being Watched at the Self-Checkout Line

Is it just me or do you feel like the employees are watching you in the self-checkout line at the grocery store?

When I'm in a hurry and don't feel like interacting with people (admit it, we all have those days), I like using the self-checkout. I usually don't have to wait in a line and it is "supposedly" faster.... But is it? You have to ask for help when you can't scan a certain item and you have to make sure you set the scanned item down on just the right spot. And then, there is an employee who is basically eye-balling your every move.

So what's the point of these self-checkouts when you still need employees to help you?
What do you think about self-checkout lines? Do you use them?
Where do you think the future of grocery shopping is headed?

I look forward to your responses!

6 comments:

  1. I like them and think they get me out of the store faster during non peak hours when there are less registers open. I rarely have problems with them and while I have never experienced an attendant breathing down my neck they are normally close by to help if something does go wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually yesterday was my first experience with this service. I was in line at Sams in Jamestown, NY and there were 5 customers before me and all with a full baskets. I decided to try the self-checkout since there was no on in line there. I LIKED it....it was fast and easy. I will use it again the next time too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only store I frequent that offers is Sam's Club and I prefer to use the self check out. The lines are usually shorter, it is easy, and I feel it was quicker than waiting in line. There are always employees close by if you need assistance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The employees are supposed to watch you....that's the point, customers do the work so less staff is required. They still need staff to oversee the process though, they make sure you are scanning everything (loss prevention) and can offer immediate help if needed (customer service). I don't mind doing it myself if there are open spots and I don't have to wait in line. We used to have people pump our gas, which would be very weird to us now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live in New Jersey and we're spoiled. It would be very weird NOT to have someone else pump my gas!

      Delete
  5. Glad to hear the good experiences!! I often see people struggle when it comes to produce or large items. I am sure there will be new ways of scanning in our near future.
    I wonder about the future of grocery shopping. Soon, we will be ordering groceries from our tablets or smartphones, and having them delivered to our house within hours! Sounds quite convenient.. Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete